01952 605849 [email protected]
QuestionsHow do you test the resistance of enclosures against water ingress?
Ted Spencers asked 2 years ago
1 Answers
Chris Lloyd Staff answered 2 years ago

Dear Ted,

The main reason for using enclosures for electrical equipment is to protect them, ensuring their optimum performance and functional integrity. As one of the most damaging elements is water, preventing its ingress is a top priority.

This is why, the second number in International Protection (or ingress protection, IP) Codes, as defined by the IEC standard 60529, represents the level of protection against water. Generally, enclosures are designed to withstand at least water splashes from all directions (IPX4) up to IPX9, which means resistance to high-pressure, high-temperature jet sprays, wash-downs or steam-cleaning.

Making sure that adequate capabilities are provided by conducting extensive testing on electrical enclosures attests to the commitment of a provider to deliver high-quality solutions. In particular, by following DIN EN 60670-1, DIN EN 61439-1 and DIN EN 62208 standards, it is possible to provide a detailed insight into an enclosure’s resistance to water penetration.

Spelberg’s in-house testing facility is able to validate the IP capabilities of all our enclosures. In line with the relevant international standards, water is applied to the enclosure. The ingress of water is detected by lining the interior of the equipment under test with absorbent paper. This is then examined immediately after the test.

To know more about our IP testing, visit: https://www.spelsberg.com/customizing/testing-laboratory/ip-protection-testing/
For additional information on the variety of tests we conduct and the methods we follow, visit: https://www.spelsberg.com/service/technical-information/technical-information/tests-and-test-methods-according-to-iec-/en-standard/

If you have additional questions on our IP testing capabilities, our facilities or specific requests for your intended application, please feel free to send me a private message to discuss them.

Kind Regards,