01952 605849 [email protected]
QuestionsCategory: Questions - Chris Lloydenclosure thickness
Jacob R. asked 4 years ago

dear sir,
In electrical enclosures UL 50 standards defines the enclosure material thickness, in IEC standards where we can find this or is any equivalent standards available in IEC..

1 Answers
Best Answer
Chris Lloyd Staff answered 4 years ago

Hello Jacob,
Thanks for your question!
Navigating the different standards on electrical enclosures, such as the UL, NEMA and IEC can be quite challenging. While in some cases their requirements and ratings overlap enough to support direct comparison, there are situations where this is not possible. This is the case for enclosure material thickness.
While the key standards UL 50, 50E, NEMA 250 and IEC 60529 all define ingress protection capabilities to ensure enclosure performance, only UL 50, 50E and NEMA 250 provide minimum design requirements for deliver strength. These cover material thicknesses too.
If you require housings with a specific thickness to meet both UL and IEC standards, Spelsberg is able to offer you the right solution. We are able to support you in customised product development, designing and manufacturing prototypes as well as bespoke enclosures with a short lead time. To learn more about our customisation capabilities please visit: https://www.spelsberg.co.uk/customising/customised-product-development/customised-product-development/
In addition, our in-house test laboratory is able to conduct independent testing for VDE/IEC and UL certifications, including IEC 60529 and UL 50. Therefore, we can provide you solutions that comply with the necessary standards for your intended application. You can find additional information on our testing facility here: https://www.spelsberg.co.uk/customising/testing-laboratory/testing-according-to-vde-and-ul/
If you have additional questions or requirements about our UL and IEC certified enclosures or our testing capabilities, please feel free to send me a private message to discuss them.